Bunmeido is considered one of the big three Nagasaki castella brands. This product is one of Bunmeido's leading sweets and got renewed on October 2021. We are delighted to inform that this specialty Japanese cake is now available at Japanese Taste.
Nagasaki castella cake is a traditional pastry originated in the Iberian Peninsula and then introduced into Nagasaki for the first time, in the 16th century, by Spanish and Portuguese traders and missionaries. The cake later became a signature dessert of the region and now is considered one of the most popular Japanese sweets.
Castella cake features pleasantly moist texture with a delicate aroma of egg and sugar. The bottom layer of the cake has coarsely granulated sugar whose crunchy bite feeling gives a wonderful contrast to the cake's fluffiness.
- Handmade and carefully baked through their traditional baking technique. With the latest renewal, this product contains more egg yolk and less flour, resulting in supreme full-bodied taste and excellently melting texture.
- Gosan can be translated as 5 and 3 which refers to the ratio of egg yolk to egg white being 5 to 3 and is said to be the golden ratio in making a quality castella. Bunmeido has shifted this 5:3 ratio from unit to weight; the product has more egg yolks, making the cake more flavorful than before.
- Additive-free, simply made out of egg, sugar, flour, starch syrup, and honey. The flour is fundamental to castella's texture; wasanbon (Japanese sugar) and honey enhance egg flavor; and coarsely granulated zarame sugar helps the castella keeping moist.
- The castella cake is pre-cut for convenience. Perfect for a present for your valuable person, or for the auspicious occasions like marriage, childbirth, graduation, birthday, etc.
- Packed in a paulownia box giving a luxurious sense and protecting the castella from humidity and impact. Furthermore, the box is wrapped in a gorgeous golden packaging paper.
- Net contents: 10 pieces
- Ingredients: Egg, sugar (Tokushima wasanbon sugar / zarame sugar), flour, starch syrup, Hokkaido linden honey
- Nutrition facts (per piece≒48.75g): Energy 155kcal, protein 3.4g, fat 4.3g, carbohydrate 25.5g, sodium 0.1g
- Box size: 300×111×80mm
- Potential allergens: Wheat, egg
- Made in Japan
- CLCherisse L.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars6/17/233 o'clock go-to snack!
A more refined version of the country's favourite 3 o'clock snack! I can picture the old commercial with cats doing the can-can to the fun commercial jingle.
- RBRudy B.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars11/5/22bunmeido tokusen gosan japanese handmade castella cake
I found it very delicious.
- IGIrene G.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars8/13/22Excellent
Perfect as good as the day fresh!
- MSMitsuko S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars5/29/22文明堂五三カステラ
- HAHamdan A.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars5/10/22Excellent taste
This cake is excellent